William J. Newman Jr. devotes most of his efforts to coordinating the array of tax-related services the firm provides. A CPA as well as an attorney, Mr. Newman has had extensive experience structuring highly sophisticated business transactions. In addition, as the former chair of Christian & Barton's Tax department, he serves as a valuable resource to the firm's tax-exempt bond, real estate and estate planning sections.
Representative Consultation Activities
• Represent individual buyers and sellers of stock and/or assets of businesses.
• Represent business entities in mergers and acquisitions.
• Represent business owners and key employees in connection with the transfer of ownership and control of businesses.
• Represent individuals and business entities before the Internal Revenue Service
• Assist individuals with estate and gift tax planning matters.
• Assist small business owners in the design and implementation of equity based compensation arrangements for key employees.
• Assist small business owners with business succession planning.
• Assist tax-exempt organizations in maintaining tax qualified status.
• Assist professionals in the formation and dissolution of professional partnerships and corporations.
Boston College Law School, J.D., 1973
Boston College, B.A., 1970
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
American Bar Association
Virginia Bar Association
The Bar Association of the City of Richmond
• Mr. Newman has served as a director and trustee for a variety of charitable organizations, as well as being active in a number of civic and political organizations.
Legal Elite (Virginia Business)
• Taxes/Estates/Trusts/Elder Law, 2009-2012
• Presentations at American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Virginia State Bar seminars on a variety of tax-related topics.