Peter E. Broadbent Jr.’s areas of practice are general business law, communications law (particularly cable television law), intellectual property (trademark, copyright, licensing and Internet law) and government relations law. He has extensive experience in numerous acquisitions and divestitures, particularly in the communications and health care fields, and related issues such as shareholder and non-compete agreements. He is also experienced in film and publishing entertainment law issues.
Mr. Broadbent is a member of the firm's Executive Committee, and serves as chair of both the Christian & Barton Business and Intellectual Property practice areas.
Communications and Media
Business Organizations and Corporations
Representative Trademark/Copyright Matters
• Filing and prosecution of federal trademark applications with the USPTO, and obtaining international protection directly through Madrid Protocol filings with WIPO, and working with local counsel in foreign countries.
• Assisting clients in selection of trademarks through analysis of search reports.
• Negotiation of licensing agreement for US and foreign trademarks.
• Sending out and responding to cease and desist letters alleging trademark infringement, and filing or defending Opposition and Cancellation proceedings at the USPTO, and negotiating settlement and co-existence agreements.
• Assisting clients in preparing and filing applications for copyright registration; advice on fair use and copyright term issues for existing copyrights.
Representative Legislative Issues
• Drafting legislation and participation in negotiations with other industries and lobbying General Assembly members.
• Monitoring legislation, identifying issues and drafting amendments and participation in negotiations and lobbying General Assembly representatives to address broad language in specific bills that would have impacted clients.
Representative Communications Issues
• Preparing comments in agency rulemaking proceedings at the federal and state levels.
• Advice to clients on compliance with state and federal laws.
• Negotiation of easement agreements and access agreements for installation of communications lines.
• Representation in communications tax issues.
Representative Business Matters
• Negotiation of partial sale of business assets, including intellectual property.
• Negotiation of software license agreement.
• Negotiation of film location agreement.
• Negotiation of book publishing agreement.
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D, 1976
Duke University, B.A., History, 1973
St. Christopher’s School, 1969
Virginia State Bar
• Business Law Section, Chair, 2005-2007; Vice chair, 2003-2005; Member, Board of Governors, 1997-2010; Virginia Business Law Editor, 1995-1998
• Intellectual Property Section
• Committee on Public Information, Former Chair
Virginia Bar Association
• Business and Intellectual Property Law Sections
The Bar Association of the City of Richmond
Greater Richmond Intellectual Property Law Association
• Advisory Board, Virginia Chapter
• Member, Corporations, Intellectual Property and Telecommunications Group
International Trademark Association
Republican National Lawyers Association
Library of Virginia
• Board Member (by gubernatorial appointment), 2022-present, 2010-2015 and 1996-2006; Chair, 2014-2015 and 2003-2004
• Executive Committee Member, 2013-2015, 1997-2005
Library of Virginia Foundation
• Board Member, 2016-2022, 2014-2015 and 2003-2004
Virginia Bicentennial of the American War of 1812 Commission
• Member (by General Assembly appointment), 2008-2015
James Monroe Law Office Museum and Memorial Library
• Board of Regents (by gubernatorial appointment), 2011-present
Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce
• Business Leaders Roundtable Program, Former Director
Greater Richmond Chamber/City of Richmond Business Visitation Program
• Former Chair
• Seventh Congressional District, 2004
Virginia Electoral College
• President, 2004
State Central Committee
• Republican Party of Virginia, Member, 2001-2003
Seventh District Committee
• Republican Party of Virginia, Member, 2001-2011
• Republican National Convention (Tampa), 2012
Richmond City Republican Committee
• Member, 1973-present
Virginia Genealogical Society
• Director and Former President
National Genealogical Society
• Former Director
James Monroe Memorial Foundation
• Director and Vice President
Friends of the Virginia State Archives
Sons of the Revolution in the Commonwealth of Virginia
• Board of Managers, 2009-2012
Society of Colonial Wars in Virginia
• Director and Former Governor
Virginia Society of the War of 1812
• Director and Officer
Genealogical Research Institute of Virginia
• Director and Former President
Virginia World War One Commemoration Foundation
• Director and Officer
Virginia Coalition for Open Government
• Member, Coalition Partners Advisory Panel
Duke University Alumni Admissions Committee, Richmond Chapter
• Former Member
St. Christopher’s School
• Alumni and Former Parent Volunteer
• Former Parent Volunteer
Richmond SAR Chapter
• Director, 2016-present
• Former Vice President
Tuckahoe YMCA Indian Guides/Princesses
• Former Tribal and Nation Leader
Troop 444, B.S.A.
• Former Volunteer
Richmond Teams for Progress
• Former Director and Vice President
First Presbyterian Church
• Former Deacon and Sunday School Teacher
The Best Lawyers in America©
• Trademark Law, 2018-2023
Virginia Super Lawyers
• Intellectual Property, 2017-2023
• Utilities Law, 2006-2016
Legal Elite (Virginia Business)
• Intellectual Property Law, 2000-2003, 2006-2010, 2012-2015
• Legislative/Regulatory/Administrative Law, 2011
• Business Law, 2003, 2005
Virginia Cable Telecommunications Association’s Virginia Cable Hall of Fame, 2019
Virginia Cable Telecommunications Association Associate Member of the Year Award, 2009
National Genealogical Society, President's Citation, 2010
Who's Who in America, 2008-present
• Mr. Broadbent has spoken at legal or other programs on topics such as cable television law, internet law, copyright law and access to public records.
• Author, various business/intellectual property law articles in Virginia Business Law
• Author, Business Law Update 2000, University of Richmond Law Review
• Author, Cable Television Franchising in Virginia (2002)