Paul W. Jacobs II has extensive experience in representing both private and public clients, including local government bodies, on a variety of issues before state and federal courts and regulatory bodies. Representation of private clients includes commercial disputes and federal and state securities laws.
• U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
• U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
• U.S. Supreme Court
• Defense of companies against business conspiracy, trade secret and interference with contract claims.
• Representation of private clients in commercial disputes, security law and intellectual property rights matters.
• Representation of local governments in matters including voting rights and redistricting, water rights, contractual disputes, zoning, public procurement, constitutional claims and airport-related disputes.
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1977
University of Aberdeen, Scotland, postgraduate research
Harvard University, B.A., with honors, 1973
Virginia State Bar
Virginia Bar Association
The Bar Association of the City of Richmond
VCU Parkinson's Disease Campaign Steering Committee
ClearPoint Financial Services, Inc. (A nonprofit credit counseling service)
• Former Board Member
Housing Opportunities Made Equal Committee
• Former Member, Board of Trustees
Congregation Beth Ahabah
• Former Member, Board of Managers
The Best Lawyers in America©
• Commercial Litigation, 2010-2022
• Campus Martius: The Field of Mars in the Life of Ancient Rome, Cambridge University Press (2014)
• Coauthor, "Racial Polarization in Vote Dilution Cases Under Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act: The Impact of Thornburg v. Gingles," 3 Journal of Law and Politics 295 (1986)
• Mr. Jacobs has lectured at conferences and programs on voting rights and water rights matters.