Michael W. Smith is a partner and serves as chairman of the firm and its Executive Committee, and is head of the Litigation section. He joined the firm following a judicial clerkship with the Hon. Robert R. Merhige Jr., Judge, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. The substantial majority of his practice has consisted of trials in both state and federal courts in which he has represented individuals and companies in corporate and commercial litigation. Mr. Smith’s practice has also consisted of products liability and health care litigation.
Mr. Smith is a Fellow and former president of the American College of Trial Lawyers, and a former president of the Bar Association of the City of Richmond and the Virginia State Bar. He has authored law-related articles, lectured at numerous conferences, continuing legal education programs and the Virginia Professionalism Course, and spoken at various bar association meetings.
• South Carolina
• U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
• U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
• U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
• U.S. Supreme Court
• Hon. Robert R. Merhige Jr., U.S. District Court Judge, Eastern District of Virginia
• Representation of companies in antitrust litigation.
• Representation of companies in intellectual property theft litigation.
• Representation of railway company in various commercial contract disputes.
• Representation of natural gas company in contract dispute with utility.
• Representation of natural gas company in a transmission dispute.
• Representation of an airport authority in matters involving state transportation initiatives.
• Representation of aircraft manufacturers in commercial airline and general aviation products liability disputes.
• Representation of health care companies in connection with health care related claims.
• Representation of companies and individuals in connection with various other commercial disputes.
• Representation of health care company in failed merger dispute.
• Representation of pharmaceutical industry in product liability disputes.
University of South Carolina Law School, J.D.
Editorial Board, South Carolina Law Review
Society of Wig and Robe
Presbyterian College, B.A.
American College of Trial Lawyers
• President, 2015-2016
• Regent, 2009-2013
American Bar Association
• Member, served in House of Delegates
American Bar Foundation
Virginia State Bar
• President, 1995-1996
The Bar Association of the City of Richmond
• President, 1986-1987
Virginia Bar Association
John Marshall Inn of Court
The Best Lawyers in America©
• Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation-Banking & Finance, Litigation-Construction, Litigation-Intellectual Property, 1989-2022
• Litigation: General Commercial, 2004-2022
Virginia Super Lawyers
• Business Litigation, 2006-2022
Legal Elite (Virginia Business)
• Civil Litigation, 2000-2021
Hunter W. Martin Professionalism Award, The Bar Association of the City of Richmond, 2016
Guide to the Leading U.S. Litigation Lawyers
• Co-authored Business Torts Desk Reference, Virginia chapter, (Morton F. Daller ed., Aspen Law & Business 2007)
• Co-authored Product Liability Desk Reference, Virginia chapter, (Morton F. Daller ed., Aspen Law & Business 2007)
• Mr. Smith has authored law-related articles, lectured at numerous conferences, continuing legal education programs and the Virginia mandatory Professionalism Course, and has spoken at various bar association meetings.