Jonathan M. Joseph is a partner in Christian & Barton’s Health Care and Business Law practice groups. As a health lawyer, Mr. Joseph focuses his practice on health care transactions, managed care, and HIPAA compliance and investigations. He also advises clients on medical staff issues; telemedicine and electronic health record and data breach issues; Virginia Board of Medicine matters; Medicare and Virginia Medicaid (DMAS) reimbursement and audit issues; and Virginia Department of Health Certificate of Public Need matters.
Mr. Joseph leads the firm's Health Care practice group and is a member, and former chair, of the Virginia Bar Association Health Law Section Council. In addition, he is a former adjunct professor of health law for the Master of Health Administration program at Virginia Commonwealth University.
Representative Health Law Matters
- Assisted managed care plan on developing innovative provider contracts.
- Represented various providers in Virginia Medicaid and Medicare audits and appeals.
- Advised investor on purchase of an interest in a medical practice.
- Advised telemedicine providers on DEA, Board of Medicine and Board of Pharmacy matters.
- Assisted in the purchase of a home health agency.
- Advised a health care provider on a data breach of its health records system and subsequent governmental investigation.
- Assisted remote monitoring company in contract development.
- Assisted an ambulatory surgery center with a Certificate of Need application.
- Represented telehealth companies, including companies involved with mHealth.
- Advised a physician group concerning a merger with another group.
- Advised physician on medical peer review matters.
- Advised on a management agreement for an assisted living facility.
- Assisted a nursing facility in Medicare Zone Program Integrity Contractor (ZPIC) appeal.
- Advised provider on Recovery Audit Contractor (RAC) audit.
- Assisted medical school with establishing a clinic.
- Advised a physician whose license was suspended by the Virginia Board of Medicine.
- Serves as counsel to several public health care authorities.
- "RAC, ZPIC, WHATSIT? What You Need to Know About Medicare Audits and Appeals," Virginia Health Care Association-Virginia Center for Assisted Living Legal Quarterly, Winter 2016
- “Data Breach Notification Laws: A Fifty State Survey, Second Edition,” American Health Lawyers Association, 2015
- “Be Prepared: HIPAA Audits 2015,” Virginia Health Care Association Legal Quarterly, Spring 2015
- “A Nursing Facility’s Primer on HIPAA Privacy Rules,” Virginia Health Care Association Legal Quarterly
- “Online Counseling Hits Prime Time, But Legal Pitfalls Await: The New World of Telemental Health,” American Bar Association’s 18th Annual Conference on Emerging Issues in Healthcare Law, 2017
- “Making Sense of Medicare Audits,” LeadingAge Virginia Annual Conference, 2016
- “HIPAA, Subpoenas and Audits, Oh My! An Overview,” Virginia Association of Personal Care Providers Spring Conferences, 2016