James Moore serves as the firm’s managing partner and is a member of the Executive Committee.
In addition, as a partner in Christian & Barton’s Litigation department, Mr. Moore focuses on complex commercial civil litigation and appellate work in federal and state courts. These select representations primarily focus on contract, construction, products liability, personal injury, estate and premises liability litigation. Mr. Moore also represents professionals before state professional licensing and regulatory boards.
Trials / Appeals / Alternative Dispute Resolution
Complex Business and Commercial Disputes
• U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
• U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
• U.S. Supreme Court
• Hon. John A. MacKenzie, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Virginia, 1971-1972
Representative Business Litigation
• Representation of a cable television operator in tax litigation with local governments.
• Representation of a private country club in a dispute with a group of its members regarding membership requirements established by deed covenants.
• Defense of personal injury claims against a building supply company and its employees.
• Representation of physicians, dentists and other professional licensees before state regulatory boards.
• Representation of three charities in litigation challenging will bequests.
• Defense of building contractor in copyright dispute with architect.
• Defense of structural steel subcontractor in construction contract dispute with general contractor.
• Defense of owner in construction contract dispute with general contractor.
• Defense of subcontractor/supplier in construction contract dispute with owner and general contractor.
• Representation of 11 trust beneficiaries in breach of fiduciary duty litigation against co-trustees of the trust.
• Representation of contractor hired by property owner to remove mine waste in dispute with property owner regarding liability for response costs under CERCLA.
University of Virginia, J.D, 1971
University of Maryland, B.A., 1968
Virginia State Bar
Virginia Bar Association
The Bar Association of the City of Richmond
Legal Elite (Virginia Business)
• Construction, 2008-2012