Christopher M. Gill is a partner in Christian & Barton’s Commercial Real Estate and Environmental Law practice areas. A substantial portion of his practice consists of the representation of business, industry, developers, landowners, local governments and government agencies involving matters related to property transactions, property rights, land use and a variety of environmental matters. In addition, he holds the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design® Accredited Professional (LEED® AP) designation.
Mr. Gill serves as the firm's finance partner.
• Hon. Edward W. Hanson Jr., and the Hon. A. Bonwill Shockley, Judges, Circuit Court of the City of Virginia Beach, Virginia
Representative Commercial Real Estate Matters
• Representation of an East Coast land development company in the acquisition, financing, development and sale of numerous commercial properties and the negotiation of leases with various national credit tenants.
• Representation of a Virginia-based company in the acquisition, financing, construction and leasing of a new headquarters building.
• Representation of a solid waste management company in multiple transactions for the acquisition of parcels of land adjacent to its landfill operations and various land use matters pertaining to the expansion of the company's operations.
• Various title, zoning, subdivision, lease and other due diligence matters related to real estate owned by a company being acquired by a publicly-traded energy client and continued representation of client in land acquisition, leasing and land use matters.
• Representation of a real estate fund in contract and property rights negotiations and land use matters.
• Representation of a supplier of engineered materials, natural resources and technology-based services in the sale of various tracts of timberland throughout Virginia.
• Representation of various banks and lenders in connection with new real estate and commercial loans, modification of existing loans, foreclosure, deed in lieu of foreclosure and related proceedings.
• Representation of a cable company in easement negotiations and property rights disputes.
• Representation of a health care corporation in the leasing of a portion of a large regional hospital campus in Ohio.
• Representation of various landowners and developers in the acquisition of properties by partition.
• Representation of a Richmond-based corporation in the acquisition of a commercial condominium.
Representative Environmental Law Matters
• Representation of waste management company in its purchase of the assets of a landfill facility in Virginia and representation of the company in the operation and expansion of such facility.
• Various environmental due diligence matters associated with the acquisition of a bulk chemical and petroleum storage and transportation company by a publicly-traded energy client and continued representation of client in environmental permitting and compliance matters.
• Representation of a Virginia municipality in a dredging project to restore a downtown harbor.
• Representation of a Virginia municipality regarding various water supply issues and permitting matters with the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.
• Defense of companies in enforcement actions brought by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.
• Defense of enforcement action brought by the Environmental Protection Agency.
Representative Legislative Advocacy Matters
• Drafting of legislation, participation in negotiations with other industries, and lobbying General Assembly members on behalf of clients in a variety of industries.
• Monitoring legislation, identifying potential bills of concern, offering amendments to address client concerns.
University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 2004
Articles Editor, University of Richmond Law Review
University of Virginia, B.A., 2000
Virginia Bar Association
• Young Lawyers Division Executive Committee, 2009-2015
• Legal Food Frenzy, Co-chair, 2007-2015
• Real Estate and Environmental Law Sections, Member
The Bar Association of the City of Richmond
• Real Estate and Environmental Law Sections
Legal Food Frenzy
• Founding Co-chair
Children's Museum of Richmond
• Junior Board, 2015-2018
Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce
• Government and Community Affairs Committee, 2009-present
The Best Lawyers in America©
• Real Estate Law, 2016-2023
Virginia Super Lawyers
• Real Estate, 2015-2022
Legal Elite (Virginia Business)
• Real Estate/Land Use, 2013, 2015-2022
Virginia Rising Stars
• Real Estate, 2009-2014
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design® Accredited Professional (LEED® AP)
• Co-author with Michael R. Packer and Michael W. Smith, Local Government Attorneys of Virginia Handbook, Ch. 28: Blight Remediation (LGA, Inc. 2006-2014)
• Co-author with Brian R. Marron, Annual Survey of Real Estate Law, 38 U. Rich. L. Rev. 223 (2003)