Litigation Legal Assistant
Christian & Barton, L.L.P., one of Virginia’s premier mid-size law firms, is seeking a motivated litigation legal assistant to primarily support three attorneys.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Draft and edit correspondence, such engagement letters and letters of representation, at the request of attorneys; edit and send other correspondence and filings.
- Preparation of shell or initial drafts of documents, such as pleadings and discovery responses.
- Provide administrative support for lawyers preparing for depositions, hearings, mediations, and trial by preparing binders, exhibit lists, and timelines, and other helpful documents.
- Open new files, request conflict of interest checks with file room records, and regularly maintain all client and general files with minimal supervision. Conduct periodic review for possible storage of older files; prepare files to be closed.
- Maintain electronic filing systems for attorney review and the discovery process, to including sorting and Bates stamping documents, organizing files, and tracking privileged documents.
- Establish and maintain calendar and deadline reminder systems; utilize master calendar system. Make appointments and set up meetings for attorney(s).
- Enter, edit, and post time entries.
- Process bills; proof billing sheets; review and edits bills.
- Screen telephone calls, record messages and ensure rollover lines are attended.
- Read, sort, date, and files incoming mail. Ensure that outgoing mail is timely delivered. If necessary, route mail to specific delivery service and follows up on timely delivery.
- Receive clients and visitors; maintain good public relations with clients; observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Perform typing, filing, e-filing, photocopying, or reception relief as time permits and as requested by other attorneys or the Human Resources Manager.
- Flexibility to work overtime as assigned needed, typically for trial and hearing preparation.
- For the right candidate, this position has room to grow into a paralegal role with increased responsibilities.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience as a Litigation Legal Assistant or a Bachelor’s degree
- Current litigation experience in a law firm environment desired
- Strong working knowledge of technology including Office (Word, Outlook & Excel)
- Strong typing, organizational and communication skills required
- Strong sense of confidentiality and ability to exercise sound judgment
- High attention to detail
- Courteous and positive attitude
- Willingness to receive and implement feedback
- Experience with a document management system (eDocs), billing and time entry programs a plus
- Knowledge of federal and state e-filing is a plus
Competitive salary commensurate with experience as well as excellent benefits, including medical, dental, 401(k) and a 7-hour work day. Please send resume and salary requirement to email@example.com.