Support Staff Recruiting
Litigation Legal Secretary
Christian & Barton, L.L.P., one of Virginia’s premier mid-size law firms, is seeking a motivated, energetic, experienced, professional litigation legal secretary to join its team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Draft and edit correspondence, such as engagement letters and letters of representation, at the request of attorneys; edit and send other correspondence;
- Provide administrative support for lawyers preparing for depositions, hearings, mediations, and trial by preparing binders, exhibit lists, timelines, and other helpful documents;
- Open new files, request conflict of interest checks with file room records, and regularly maintain all client and general files with minimal supervision; conduct periodic review for possible storage of older files; prepare files to be closed;
- Maintain electronic filing systems for attorney review and the discovery process, to include sorting and Bates stamping documents, organizing files, and tracking privileged documents;
- Establish and maintain calendar and deadline reminder systems; utilize master calendar system; make appointments and set up meetings for attorney(s);
- Enter, edit, and post time entries;
- Process bills; proof billing sheets; review and edits bills;
- Screen telephone calls, record messages and ensure rollover lines are attended;
- Read, sort, date, and file incoming mail; ensure outgoing mail is timely delivered; if necessary, route mail to specific delivery service and follow up on timely delivery;
- Receive clients and visitors; maintain good public relations with clients; observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship;
- Perform typing, filing, photocopying, or reception relief as time permits and as requested by other attorneys or the Human Resources Manager; and
- Flexibility to work overtime as assigned.
- Associate or paralegal degree, or equivalent experience, required;
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience as a litigation legal secretary;
- Current litigation experience in a law firm environment desired;
- Strong working knowledge of technology including Office (Word, Outlook & Excel) and court websites;
- Strong typing, organizational and communication skills required;
- Strong sense of confidentiality and ability to exercise sound judgment;
- High attention to detail;
- Courteous and positive attitude;
- Candidate should be a self-starter who is assertive and proactive with excellent problem solving, organizational, prioritization, and delegation skills; and
- Experience with a document management system (eDocs), billing and time entry programs a plus.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience as well as excellent benefits, including medical, dental, 401(k) and a 7-hour work day. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.