Belinda Jones is a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property, Health Care and Litigation departments. She represents clients in intellectual property matters before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, federal courts and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Mrs. Jones’ commercial litigation practice focuses on health care matters, transportation and financial services disputes. She regularly practices before state and federal courts and has arbitrated commercial matters before FINRA Dispute Resolution and the American Arbitration Association.
Mrs. Jones is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and the Associate Training and Evaluation Committee, and she is an active member of the Virginia Bar Association and the Bar Association of the City of Richmond.
Intellectual Property Litigation
Health Care Litigation
Trials / Appeals / Alternative Dispute Resolution
Products Liability and Torts
Non-Competition and Trade Secrets
Financial Services Litigation
• U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
• U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
• U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
• U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Representative Intellectual Property Litigation
• Filing and prosecution of federal trademark applications before the USPTO.
• Assisting clients in branding efforts and selection of trademarks through analysis of search reports.
• Counseling clients regarding cease and desist efforts and allegations of trademark infringement, filing or defending Opposition and Cancellation proceedings at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and negotiating settlement and co-existence agreements.
• Assisting clients in preparing and filing applications for copyright registration, advice on fair use and copyright term issues for existing copyrights.
• Representing clients in all facets of intellectual property litigation, including claims under theLanham Act and the Federal Copyright Act.
Representative Health Care Litigation
• Representation of a national mental health care management company in commercial and contract disputes, and benefit claims under ERISA.
• Representation of hospital providers in commercial contract negotiations and disputes.
• Representation of insurers in plan design and benefit claims.
• Representation of various providers in Virginia Medicaid appeals.
Representative Business Litigation
• Representation of railroad in various commercial disputes including breach of contract and antitrust claims.
• Representation of international accounting firm in business tort action.
• Representation of regional airport authority in constitutional challenge and other tort actions.
• Representation of citizens group in water rate litigation.
• Representation of insurers in commercial and coverage disputes.
Representative Products Liability Litigation
• Representation of an avionics manufacturer in the Eastern District of Virginia.
• Representation of a third party administrator of substance abuse testing programs.
Representative Construction Litigation
• Representation of contractors, subcontractors and suppliers in mechanic's lien actions.
• Representation of architectural and engineering firm in commercial dispute.
Representative Financial Services Litigation
• Representation of large national securities firms and individuals in various disputes before FINRA Dispute Resolution panels.
Georgia State University, J.D., 2004
Magna Cum Laude
University of Virginia, B.A., Government, 1999
The Bar Association of the City of Richmond
• Board of Directors, 2021-present
• Finance Committee, 2018-present
• Judiciary Committee, 2014-2018
• Bench-Bar Committee, Co-chair, 2015
• Administration of Justice Committee, Chair, 2011-2013
• CLE Committee, 2008-2011
Virginia Bar Association
• Council Member, Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law Section, 2014-present; Treasurer, 2018-present
Georgia Bar Association
Federal Bar Association, Richmond Chapter
Virginia Super Lawyers
• Civil Litigation Defense, 2019-2021
Virginia Rising Stars
• Civil Litigation Defense, 2013-2017
• Intellectual Property Litigation, 2012
• Author, "A Modern 'Billy Goats Gruff:' The Patent Troll Under the Bridge," VBA Journal, Spring 2015
• Co-author with Henry I. Willett III, "When Your Evidence Goes Up in Flames," American Bar Association's Mass Torts Litigation Committee publication, Mass Torts Litigation, Summer 2010
• Guest Lecturer, "Ethical Social and Legal Issues in Info Systems" Course, Department of Information Systems, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2014-2015