Mr. Harless is a member of the firm's Executive Committee. He is immediate past president of the Virginia State Bar, and currently serves on its Council and Executive Committee. He also is a former president of the Bar Association of the City of Richmond. Mr. Harless has been a faculty member of the Virginia State Bar's mandatory professionalism course, the panel that trains such faculty, as well as the National Trial Advocacy College of the University of Virginia. In addition, he has lectured on numerous business, employment and products liability litigation topics.
Representative Business Litigation
• Defense of companies against business conspiracy, trade secret and interference with contract claims.
• Represent parties in disputes over indemnification and allocation of liability for commercial and products liability claims.
• Defense of claims involving fiduciary duties of officers, directors, and members of corporations, closely-held companies and partnerships.
• Representation of broker-dealers and financial advisors in FINRA/NYSE arbitrations.
Representative Employment Matters
• Defense and assertion of violations of restrictive covenants, such as non-compete, non-solicit, confidentiality, trade secret and no-hire clauses.
• Representation of employers against alleged violations of overtime compensation and wage claims.
• Response to and defense of numerous harassment, hostile work environment, sex, race, age, disability, FMLA, workplace defamation and wrongful discharge claims and charges.
• Representation of executives and companies in negotiating and preparing compensation and benefit packages, exit strategies, and severance and release arrangements.
Representative Products Liability/Tort Matters
• Defense of product liability claims against manufacturers and distributors of various products, such as forklifts and forklift products, construction equipment, brake systems, propane cylinders, all-terrain vehicles, playground equipment, breast implants, motorcycle helmets, commercial floor finishing products, pesticides and herbicides, and mechanical platform lifts.
• Representation of owner and property manager against claims of negligence and premises liability arising from tower fire.
• Representation of large retail chain against personal injury claims arising from falling merchandise, operation of equipment, and conditions of the premises.
• Assertion of tenant claims against owner of office facilities arising from black mold infestation.
• Representation of resort complex in premises liability matters involving winter sports and water sports, and commercial tort claims involving easements and cable television rights.