David B. Lacy, a partner with the firm's Litigation department, represents a wide variety of business entities and individuals in complex business and commercial disputes, such as employment disputes, products liability, premises liability, media law, medical malpractice, patent infringement and warranty litigation. Mr. Lacy spends a significant part of his practice advising clients in employment litigation matters, including non-competition covenants, discrimination claims, trade secrets and securities arbitration. He also assists media clients on prepublication, access and defamation matters.
Representative Employment Litigation
- Defense of numerous employers and individuals in claims involving restrictive covenants, including non-competition, non-solicitation and no-hire covenants.
- Defense of employment discrimination actions, including sex, race, age and disability discrimination.
- Defense of broker-dealers and financial advisors in NASD/FINRA arbitration proceedings.
- Defense of business conspiracy, trade secret and interference with contract claims.
Representative Products Liability/Tort Litigation
- Defense of forklift manufacturer against claims of breach of warranty and negligence.
- Defense of landlord in complex wrongful death and premises liability action.
- Defense of security company against claims of assault and vicarious liability.
- Defense of automobile manufacturer in Lemon Law actions.
Representative Media Law Litigation
- Defense of broadcasters against defamation claims arising out of investigative journalism television segment.
- Defense of newspaper against defamation claims arising out of article reporting individual's criminal record.
- Defense of newspaper and television reporters against criminal charges of obstruction of justice and breaching police barricade.
- Intervention to unseal closed wrongful death settlements.
Representative Intellectual Property Litigation
- Defense of developer against architect's claims of copyright infringement.
- Representation of biomedical company in patent infringement case against competitor.
- Co-author, Survey of Virginia Employment Libel Law (Media Law Resource Center 2006-present)
- Speaker, Bridge the Gap Seminar, Virginia CLE, 2008-2011
- "Practicing Law in a House of Mirrors -- Dilemmas Posed by Shifting Alliances and Latent Conflicts When Representing Multiple Parties," Virginia State Bar Annual Meeting, 2006